The most important thing to consider when choosing an MPPT solar charger controller is how much power it will produce. This depends on several factors, including the size of your panels, the amount of sunlight in your area, and the efficiency of your solar system.
What Is an MPPT Solar Charge Controller?
An MPPT solar charge controller (also known as a “smart inverter”) is a device that helps you maximize the output of your solar panel by adjusting its voltage and frequency. It does this by monitoring the current flowing through the panel and changing the speed at which it charges your batteries.
Which Features Matter Most When Choosing an MPPT Solar Charge Controllers?
There are three main things to consider when choosing an MPPT solar charge controller: how much power it will produce, what type of battery it supports, and whether it has any additional features.
10 Best MPPT Solar Charge Controllers For Solar Panel Systems
1. EPever: 40AMP MPPT Solar Panel Charge Controller + Meter MT-50 + Temp Sensor for Gel Sealed Flooded Battery
- Advanced MPPT technology High tracking efficiency no less than 99.5% Peak conversion efficiency of 98% Accurately recognizing and tracking of multiple power point
- 12V/24VDC automatically identifying system voltage.User programmable for 3 battery types: sealed, gel and flooded. Multiple load control method, automatic limit for maximum PV input power, ensuring no overload, more safty for using
- Come with remote meter MT-50, be convenient for real-time data viewing and parameter setting. Battery temperature compensation function, real-time energy statistics function
- Electronic protections: PV reverse polarity protection, PV short circuit protection, PV over current alarm protection, Battery overcharge protection, Battery over discharge protection, Battery reverse polarity protection, Load short circuit protection, Load overload protection, Controller overheating protection
2. Renogy:60 Amp MPPT Solar Charge Controller
- 【Innovative MPPT Design】Die-cast aluminium design ensuring excellent heat dissipation and Renogy Maximum Power Point Tracking technology with a high tracking efficiency of up to 99% and peak conversion efficiency of 98%. It is the best charging solution even in cloudy environments where the max power point of the solar panels will fluctuate all day.
- 【12/24/36/48V Automatically Detect】Automatically detects 12V, 24V, 36V or 48V DC system voltages (for non-lithium batteries), which is suitable for RVs, Commercial Vehicles, Boats, Yachts, and any off-grid system.
- 【Full System Protection】Meant to safeguard your system, the self-diagnostic capability can assess and protect against reverse polarity, battery overcharging, battery over-discharging, overload, short-circuiting, and reverse current.
- 【Easy to use LCD】 LCD screen and multiple LED indicators for displaying system operation information, customizable parameters, and error codes.
- 【4-Stage Safely Charging】Features 4-stage charging (Bulk, Absorption, Float, and Equalization) of Lead Acid Batteries and 2-stage charging (Bulk and Absorption) for Lithiuim batteries as well as Lithium Reactivation
- 【Multiple Battery Adaptation】 Compatibility with multiple battery types for convenient use: Sealed Lead Acid, GEL, Flooded and Lithium Iron Phosphate.
- 【Work With RENOGY ONE】 Add Renogy ONE M1 to achieve smart energy monitoring with intuitive visuals and real-time data. This all-in-one display provides you access to accurate energy system data anywhere, anytime via the DC Home app.
3. Richsolar: 20AMP MPPT Solar Charge Controller built with LCD Display Negative Ground and Temperature Sensor
- 【Batteries】 Compatible with various deep cycle batteries: Sealed, Gel, Flooded, and Lithium.
- 【12V/24V】 Detect 12V or 24V DC system voltages automatically. Innovative MPPT technology with high tracking efficiency up to 99% and peak. Conversion efficiency of 98%.
- 【Protection】 Electronic protection: Overcharging, over-discharging, overload, and short circuit. Reverse protection: Any combination of solar module and battery, without causing damage to any component.
- 【Design】 Die-cast aluminum design for heat dissipation and the capability of measuring the battery's temperature and remote monitoring. Customizable charging voltages.
- 【Bluetooth】 RS232 port allows to communicate with the BT-1 Bluetooth module, which can pair with smart phone app.
4. Epever: 40AMP MPPT Solar Charge Controller
- Negative Grounding MPPT Solar Charge Controller Tracer4215BN, The Advanced MPPT Control Algorithm makes this 40 Amp MPPT Controller Tracking Efficiency higher than 99.5%
- 150V Max PV Input Allow this Charge Controller Handles More Solar Panels Wiring in Series to minimize PV current, 5 x 12V Solar Panel Connecting in Series will be applicable
- Work with all Lead Acid Batteries, Sealed AGM GEL and Flooded Battery, User mode allows buyer setting their own charging parameters.
- RS-485 communication bus interface and Standard MODBUS interface available to meet various communication requirements, Temperature Sensor and PC monitoring Cable Attached
- This 40 amp MPPT Solar Panel Charger works with 600W Solar Panel on 12V Battery System and 1200W on 24V Battery. Max Solar Panel 1560W, multiple load mode allow you set the load on/off in different situation. A Solid State Relay is recommended if you are using a Power Inverter
5. EPEVER: 40A MPPT Negative Grounded Solar Charge Controller
- Negative Ground Controller featuring advanced MPPT technology with high tracking efficiency up to 99.5% and peak conversion efficiency of 98%. Maximizing the energy from solar panels to charge your system.
- MPPT Charge Controller protection built-in against reverse polarity, overcharging, over-discharging, overload, short-circuiting, and reverse current. It protect the battery from being over-charged by the solar modules and over-discharged by the loads.
- 40A Solar Charge Controller charging process has been optimized for long battery life and improved system performance.It includes a 4-stage battery charging (Bulk, Boost, Float, and Equalization) and temperature compensation increase your battery life and improve your system's performance
- Solar Controller MPPT support PC software,APP and MT-50. Auto identifying 12V/24V DCsystem voltage.Also compatible with various Deep Cycle battery options: Sealed, Gel, Flooded and Lithium. Multiple load control method,
- MPPT Controller 40a with blackligh LCD screen for displaing system information and working condition. Die-cast aluminum design allows for efficient heat dissipation.
6. Outback: 80 AMP MPPT Solar Charge Controller
7. Victron Energy: MPPT Solar Charge Controller
- SmartSolar MPPT 75-Volt 15 amp: A solar charger gathers energy from your solar panels, and stores it in your batteries, Using the latest, fastest technology, SmartSolar maximises this energy-harvest
- The Victron Energy SmartSolar charge controller will even recharge a severely depleted battery. It can operate with a battery voltage as low as 0 Volts, provided the cells are not permanently sulphated or otherwise damaged
- MPPT Solar charge controller: By constantly monitoring the voltage and current output of your solar (PV) panels, MPPT technology ensures that every drop of available power is rinsed out of your panels, and harvested for storage
- Anytime anywhere remotely control and monitor the extensive features of your SmartSolar MPPT solar charge controller with built-in Bluetooth by pairing it with your smartphone or other device via VictronConnect
8. AMPINVT 60A MPPT Solar Charge Controller
- Fit for solar Panel: 900W(12V);1700W(24V);2700W(36V);.3400W(48V);Max input Voltage:150V PV;MPPT best working voltage range:DC18V-DC80V(12V);DC30V-DC100V(24V);DC65V-DC150V(48V)
- Support 4 charging options: Sealed Gel AGM Flooded Lithium Battery，User-defined, 12V 24V 48V Auto,36V need to be ajusted by yourself
- The tracking rate of maximum power is ≥99% and the maximum conversion rate is >98%
- LCD Display---clear to see operating data and working condition, Real-time energy statistics function with Multiple load control modes,Mppt solar charge controller Display the daily power generation curve and current curve.
- Multiple protection against overcharge, over discharge, over load, short circuit, reverse polarity, over heat and battery under voltage
9. BougeRV: MPPT 40A Solar Charge Controller
- 【RV dedicated MPPT controller】: Negative ground designed for RV. Better protection of LCD readings while protecting the controller, and modification of controller parameters is supported.
- 【Charge Smarter】:Due to an advanced digital power technology,the circuiit energy conversion effciency is as high as 98%.Automatically detects 12V or 24V DC system voltages. Compatible with various Deep Cycle battery options: Sealed, Gel, Flooded, and Lithium.
- 【Efficient MPPT&Weather resistance】:Rated charging current:40A Operating temperature:-35℃～+45℃. It has a big heatsink on the back, but even in 45 degree weather it hasn't become warm, which is a great indicator of its high efficiency. The charger is efficient in charging your battery. It helps that battery can be charged up quickly,even when the weather isn't ideal (ie cloudy rainy days).
- 【Electronic protection】:Electronic protection against reverse polarity, overcharging, over-discharging, overload, short-circuiting, and reverse current.
- 【Electrical Parameters】:System voltage:12V/24V Auto Battery voltage:9V～35V Wire specifications:20-6AWG Size:183*127*65mm Max.PV input power:520W/12V&1040W/24V
10. WEIZE: MPPT Solar Charge Controller
- EFFICIENT MPPT CHARGE CONTROLLER – Enable the solar panel always to operate at its maximum power point, MPPT solar charge controllers can be up to 30% more efficient than PWM. Automatically detects 12V or 24V DC system voltages. Max solar input voltage: 100V. And max photovoltaic system input power: 550W/12V, 1100W/24V.
- BATTERY PROTECTION – Compatible with various deep cycle battery options: Sealed, Gel, Flooded, Lithium and LiFePO4. Features diverse load control, electronic protection against reverse polarity, overcharging, over-discharging, overload, short-circuiting, and reverse current. Also capable of diagnosing and charging over-discharged lithium batteries, provided the batteries are not permanently sulfated or otherwise damaged.
- PROGRAMMABLE DESIGN - LCD screen design for customizing charging voltages of 4-Stage charging: bulk, boost, float, and equalization, and real-time solar energy statistics. LED indicators report the state of the solar module and battery. This solar controller also has battery temperature compensation.
- INSTALLATION READY – The 30A mppt solar controller features a durable die-cast aluminum shell that is perfect for firm fixation and efficient heat dissipation. These useful accessories: 1*10 Feet 10AWG Solar Extension Cable, 1*Female and 1*Male Connector and 1 Pair MC4 Wrenches Tool are also included for easy installation.
- WARRANTY – The MPPT is guaranteed for 1 year against any defect in materials and workmanship. Covers most damage and shipping costs for replacements. Contact us for any quality issues, our support team is on standby for YOU.
Which Performance Metrics Should You Look For?
To determine how well a solar charge controller performs, you should look at its output voltage, current, and efficiency. These metrics tell you how much energy the system produces and how efficiently it converts sunlight into electricity.
Which Cost Factors Are Important To You?
If you’re looking for an affordable solution, then you might consider purchasing a solar charge controller with a lower price tag. However, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t pay more for a better product. A high-quality solar charge controller will provide you with reliable power, while also being easy to install and maintain.
How Do I Choose The Right MPPT Solar Charge Controller Based On My Budget?
There are two main categories of solar charge controllers: those that use a microprocessor and those that do not. Microprocessor-based systems are generally more expensive than non-microprocessor-based systems. They offer greater functionality, such as monitoring battery voltage, current draw, and charging rate, and they allow users to monitor and control multiple panels at once. Non-microprocessor-based controllers are less expensive, but they lack some of these advanced features.