If you are a gardening freak; who wants to start with sustainable gardening and enjoys the natural and authentic taste of homegrown vegetables and fruits, there is no better way to grow them than in a greenhouse. Backyard greenhouse kits offer a warm and stable environment where you can grow crops regardless of it is in winter, autumn, or summer.
They are normally covered with glass, clear plastic or clear polythene, which is a perfect way to conserve heat while also ensuring that optimum sunlight reaches your crops. These conditions create an ideal environment where several varieties of crops can thrive.
Now that you are a newcomer to greenhouse kits, you might be wondering, where am I going to begin? Anyone can have a greenhouse for whatever reason. They come in several styles, types, and costs for every aspiring or upgrading gardener. You only need to be well aware of the purpose of your greenhouse. This way, you will be able to make an informed decision.
How do Greenhouses Work?
Greenhouses depend on passive solar energy. When the sun’s ray hits the glass of the greenhouse it causes the temperature to rise inside of it when it is cold outside. This provides a nice environment for the vegetable or any plants to grow efficiently.
How Do You Get Started With Greenhouse Kits?
purchasing greenhouse kits is the easy bit, deciding which type you want, where to locate it or which design fits you is the harder part of the process. Ask for advice from everyone but don’t forget the golden rule! Go big if you can afford it. I can assure you that you won’t regret that decision. Cheap and weak greenhouses will just fade with time.
1. Identify an open and sunny site
It is very important to identify a spot where the greenhouse will receive as much sunlight as possible. Note that All sides need to be. Setting it in an east-west orientation is perfect but if you can’t achieve that there is no reason to fret. Any other direction will do. Avoid identifying a spot with big structures which can cast a shadow on the greenhouse. Keep away from trees, buildings, walls, hedges or anything you feel might prevent ample sunlight from reaching the greenhouse.
2. Decide How big you are willing to go
This will depend on the type of crops you will be growing and also your budget. Enough height is important if you are considering growing climbers.
3. The type of material you want your greenhouse to be built of
What type of material do you want your greenhouse to be built of? Typically, greenhouses can be made of plastic or glass. If you are in allocation with the risk of breakages, tempered glass or plastic can be used.
4. Ensure there is a reliable source of Water
Water is a crucial necessity for anything to grow. Before you can even think of contacting a supplier, ensure that there is a reliable source of water. If you are in for luxurious in-greenhouse water supply, you will some plumbing. Watering techniques come in different types. If you are usually not around your home, a semi-automatic system will come in handy.
What Are The Types Of Greenhouse Kits & How Do You Choose The Right One?
Greenhouse kits come in several sizes, shapes, and designs. This selection wholly depends on your preferences, budget and the crops you want in the greenhouse.
1. Freestanding Greenhouse
This is an independent structure that can harbor several gardening tools and plants. They are the most common and largest types of greenhouses. Ideal for gardeners who want to go it big. If you also want to grow different types of crops, this should be your choice since it has the tools and space. Easily manageable despite the fact that they are big.
- THOUGHTFUL ENGINEERING THAT OFFERS YEAR ROUND PROTECTION - Virtually unbreakable crystal clear polycarbonate panels provide over 90% light transmission with 100% protection from harmful UV rays.
- STURDY THOUGHTFUL CONSTRUCTION WILL LAST A LIFETIME - High impact polycarbonate panels, a frame made of powder coated galvanized steel and aluminum work together to create ideal growing conditions. Heavy duty frame will withstand wind up to 55 MPH and heavy snow loads when properly assembled,
- STEP-BY-STEP DIY INSTRUCTIONS DESIGNED FOR HOMEOWNER INSTALLATION - Easy installation using a sliding panel assembly system. All hardware included.
- PURPOSEFUL FEATURES DESIGNED FOR CONVENIENT AND PRODUCTIVE GROWING SEASON -Adjustable side Louvre Window provides air flow and allows for the regulation of humidity levels. Built in gutter system for effective water drainage and collection.
- MAINTENANCE FREE DESIGN FOR A LIFETIME OF USE - Polycarbonate panes are 100% UV protected to not discolor, fracture or shatter. Parts and service available for year round support.
- Greenhouse includes 4" high foundation frame, one roof window with auto opener and one sliding door
- Included safety glass is 4 mm thick
- Greenhouse measures 7’8" wide x 10'2” long x 8'2” high with 5’2” sidewalls, 79 square feet
- Virtually unbreakable, crystal-clear polycarbonate roof and side panels provide 100% UV protection
- Low maintenance, reinforced aluminum frame for long lasting durability
- Easy to assemble SmartLock frame connectors and sliding, snap in place panels
- Built in gutters for channeling and collecting rainwater
- Extra tall, wide double doors for easy access
- Very Good Insulation R-value: 1.8
- Heavy duty dutch barn door with keyed lock
- Includes straight frame and curved frame and glazed polycarbonate windows including one roof with opener window and one rear wall window
- 81 square feet and measures 91" wide x 126" long
- Heavy duty 100% UV-protected resin frame
- Easy pin and lock connector assembly - no special tools required
- 4mm UV-protected twin-wall polycarbonate roof panels provide diffuse light for plants
- 6 mm twin-wall polycarbonate side walls provide extra durability, 100% UV protection and high impact resistance
- Barn shape design has high headroom for comfortable gardening
- Heavy Duty Powder-Coated Aluminum Frame
- 6mm Twin-Wall Polycarbonate Panels
- 2 Roof Vents, Base Kit, Rain Gutters, Snow Load Kit
- 7.5' tall at peak for plenty of headroom
- 10 Year Panel Warranty - Lifetime frame warranty
2. Glazed Freestanding Greenhouse
Glazed greenhouses are similar to freestanding with the exception of the building material. They are strictly built of plastic. They are affordable and provide room for growing several plants. The disadvantage of these greenhouses is that they wear out quickly and are subject to extreme weather changes. Perfect for gardeners who want several crops but are on a budget.
- Quick and Easy Set up on Soil or Hard Surfaces in minutes
- Protects your plants and extends your growing season.
- Clear PVC material with UV protection for longer life.
- Promotes and maintains high humidity levels to create a superior growing environment.
- Open floor allows greenhouse to be setup over existing trees and bushes.
- 【STORAGE SHED WITH LARGE CAPACITY】 This garden storage shed is ideal for maximizing storage in smaller spaces. The 6’ x 4’ outdoor storage shed has a large space that can accommodate enough garden tools, bikes, lawn small mowers and more. The double doors also make it more easier for you to walk into the shed for daily use. You can directly enjoy the fun and convenience after assembly. Note that our products will be divided into two packages.
- 【STORAGE SHED WITH MULTIFUNCTIONAL DESIGN】The rooftop of sloped design would allow the rain to flow down quickly and protect all your belongings away from rain and snow builds up risk, which decorate your garden and tools in a traditional way. This storage shed has four vents and lockable double doors that definitely provide you with better airflow and security. Use the galvanized foundation frame attached with this garden shed to build your own loved space!
- 【PRACTICAL AND SAFE OUTDOOR STORAGE SHED】This shed has reinforced galvanized metal frame which is rust-resistant, and two firm doors with lock and key, which can protect your personal stuff safely. The shed not only can be used as a storage room for storing tools, but also can be used as a garbage collection room to keep the backyard clean and tidy. Believe that owning such a backyard storage shed is a great decision for you!
- 【UPGRADED STRUCTURE FOR SIMPLER ASSEMBLY】Assembling a metal storage shed is always a pain for tons of pieces and complicated steps, and we absolutely recognize it! That's why we want to introduce you this shed with upgraded construction for less pieces, clearer steps and even more sturdier, which allows you to quickly enjoy the convenience and happiness it brings.
- 【DIMENSIONS】The overall size of assembled outdoor storage shed: 74'' L x 48.4'' W x 74.4'' H. Make sure you are permitted to build a shed from your local before purchase.
3. Attached (Lean-To) Greenhouse
Lean to greenhouses are designed to share a wall with an already existing building. If the wall is made of bricks, it will offer more insulation preventing heat loss. If you are on a low budget or you have limited space, a lean-to greenhouse will be a good option.
- Virtually unbreakable 4 mm twin-wall polycarbonate roof panels block up to 99.9% of UV rays and diffuse sun light eliminating the risk of plant burn and shade areas
- Crystal clear polycarbonate side panels provide 90% light transmission
- Rust resistant aluminum frame extends 7'-5" from floor to peak
- Kit Includes adjustable roof vent, rain gutters, lockable hinged door with magnetic catch, aluminum frame, polycarbonate panels and a galvanized steel base
- Withstands winds up to 47 mph and supports snow loads of up to 15.4 lbs. per sq. ft.
4. Window-Mounted Greenhouse
These are small, compact, and very economical to build and maintain. They are designed to fit on an outside window of a house in such a way that they can be accessed from any direction. Such a greenhouse is ideal if your yard is facing a north-south direction. Perfect for you if you want something small and effective but on a low budget.
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box
Greenhouse accessories and how to use them
Buying a greenhouse structure is not the end but just the beginning of this journey. There are several accessories you need to buy to ensure that the greenhouse runs smoothly. I have identified a few of the most basic to keep you acquainted.
1. Ventilation system
A ventilation system is used to regulate temperatures inside a greenhouse. This comes in handy if you live in an area with extreme weather conditions.
- 4'' Inline Fan Carbon Filter Ducting Combo + Variable Fan Speed Controller + Hygrometer Thermometer + 24 Hour Timer Outlet for Hydroponic Grow Tent Ventilation System (4'' Ventilation Kit)
- Filter: Use Coal Based activated carbon environmentally friendly materials and Carbon Layer Thickness: 1.5 inches. Pre-filter included,Cleaner air to promote better health.
- Timer: Max Wattage 1800W; Max Current 15A/120V/60Hz
- Hygrometer:Degree C/ Degree F unit selectable;Clock & Calendar function (month and date);Desk-top placing or Wall Hanging.
- Fan Speed Controller: Speed control dial to control variable speed: Low, Medium or High speed
2. Irrigation system
This system is responsible for automating feeding and watering cycles.
- Flow rate of each mister: 6.7-7 L/Hour, Max spray diameter: 0.3m. Up to 70 percent water savings compared to manual watering.The nozzle has two water outlet modes, columnar and misty, you can adjust the nozzle according to your needs.
- Precise drip watering for green, healthy plant growth with low water usage
- The irrigation tubing is made from high quality, all of the fittings are made from high quality plastic
- No longer worried about leaving home for holiday, just add an auto timer (buy separately) to control GG0B irrigation kit.
- MIXC irrigation kit is great for agriculture, lawn, garden, patio, greenhouse, swimming pool misting fog cooling irrigation.
3. Benching and shelving systems
These can be vertical or horizontal. They are used to hold potted plants which increase growing space.
Benefits of having a greenhouse
1. Plants grow in a protected environment
Unlike in backyard gardens, gardeners don’t have to worry about pests or extreme weather conditions such as high winds, blizzards, and snow.
2. Multipurpose uses
Several crops can be planted in a greenhouse at a go since most of them are potted. Greenhouses can also be used as stores.
3. Save on Grocery Bills
Producing your own vegetables and fruits will greatly reduce your grocery bills. There is also the thrill of consuming healthy homegrown products at a low cost.
4. Control of Produce
Unlike in commercial farms, you have full control of what you use in your greenhouse kits. You don’t have to use carcinogenic chemicals and pesticides.
5. Saving the environment
Using the eco-friendly approach to grow your own vegetables and fruits will not only allow you to enjoy chemical-free food but also will reduce your carbon footprints because you will no longer buy groceries that are heavily sprayed with harmful pesticides which contribute to global warming.
By now, I am sure that you have learned a thing or two regarding greenhouses. If you feel that you badly need greenhouse kits, Start now. Otherwise, keep coming for more ways and tips on how to care for our environment.